Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meet Mom

Hi there, Mom here - how would I characterize me? Single mom first and foremost to five that is right 5 of the most wonderful adults in the world. I love them all and am so proud of the adults they have grown into. All are off on to their own adventures in life, is it my turn finally?
Beyond mom, I would say, a independent women who is willing to take a risk and know that I am going to succeed in whatever I attempt as long as I follow my intuition. It never leads me astray. I started college when my youngest was 8 months old at a community college and then went on to Smith College in Northampton, MA and then graduated with my master's when she was 12. It was a long journey but one that I knew I had to take, I was not destined to work in a factory 12 hours a day every day to support my family. And we made it through all those years poor but with lots of love. What more could you ask for?
I do love the natural world. As a child, I grew up outside, summer vacations were generally involved car camping. I had a horse and rode her all spring, summer, and fall. During the winter it was snowmobiling, ice fishing, sledding, building snow forts that passed the time. No inside play for us. As the kids were born, we too camped, hiked (they all lived in a back pack til they were old enough to hike), and learned about life through the outside world. We had many a great adventure out hiking the local trails. Do any of you want to describe the "Dilly Trail"? Of course I could find your descriptions in the hiking diary but a first hand reflection is much better.

As the kids left to walk their own path in life, I continued to hike and do every year. I set a goal for the summer and go for it! I have done the 50 Hikes series in Massachusetts and Connecticut, section hiked the M-M trail, section hiked most of the Long Trail and even at my uncle's request completed the 90-Miler. A three day, 90 mile, canoe race that was incredible.




Anybody want to add another perspective?

2 comments:

  1. You did great with this part, as that is the Donna that I know. I am coming soon to take you to Al. where the Trail now starts. I think I am privilaged to have you hiking in the area I now call home. For me it is a wonderful feeling to have you so close and for such a long time, knowing I can get to you if you need me to do that. With luck I am close enough to see you get to W. Va. I think that will be like 7 states that I get to keep you close. Selfesh of me, I know, but I love that part!.. I and others will be every step of the way with you. You go lady...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and know that I will be with you in spirit! Certainly not in the physical sense! That is crazy. Might be able to handle a mile or so in CT or MA but that is all!
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete