Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shenandoahs

Hi all, well today I am in Front Royal, got here about noon. Front Royal is the end of the Shenandoah National Forest. The Shenandoahs are simply beautiful. The Skyline Drive winds through a hundred miles of forest and the AT follows the Drive although far enough away so that we do not here the cars except where we need to cross the road. Road crossings here are dangerous in that there are waysides at road crossings. What is a wayside you might ask - a restaurant for one with real food, oh my! and Blackberry milkshakes, you have to try one if you ever come here. They are awesome.

I have seen about 10 black bears and 40 deer in the Shenandoahs. I love it especially the bears. They are a beautiful animal. They are very quiet and you do have to look for them but they can be found. A friend I am walking with (Basher) has a great picture of a small bear trying to steal his water bottle. He had taken a break with his headphones on and did not here the little guy walking up to him until he saw the water bottle moving. I will try to get a copy of it for everyone to see.

Well, I have to share a story as Shelly told me that if I don't share with everyone she will. We ended up camping at Big Meadow Campground one night. My first priority was a shower. To that end we had supper, got a campsite, set up tents and then I went to the shower and laundry area. I put my stuff in the shower and then had to go get quarters for the shower. I then jumped in the hot shower so happy until ---- I heard male voices! Oh my gosh, I had not once but twice walked into the men's shower room rather then the women's. Now what to do, take the longest shower ever that quarters could buy and wait them out - what else could I do? Oh well, the water was hot and I was clean by the time they got done. Alls well that ends will, right?

I do have pictures to share but not the time to upload them - sorry. I will try to next time. I plan to leave tomorrow for Harper's Ferry, WV. I expect it will take me three and a half days to get there and then onto PA and the half way mark. I simply cannot believe that I have come so far and have enjoyed every step of the journey.

Thank you to MEME and LEGG, my southern support team. I saw them for the last time in Waynesboro, VA. It was great to see them and I will miss them as I move through the next few states. I will be back to visit you both before you know it.

Nature.

2 comments:

  1. MND is a super lady. She has gone or come so vary far and now is out of range for me and Mark. Altho mentaly she is nor will she ever be beyond or out of range for me. I do beleive that she will travel the AT again. She just loves it and not many of us get to do such a large and long dream. I will be on your shoulder for the rest of your trip and darn, it will not add to your back pac weight.
    I love you and am so glad I got to be a small part of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Donna!
    Congrats as you near the 1/2 way mark!!!!! I lived in Waynesboro for a summer in my late teens. Skyline Drive is beautiful. We used to go up there to cool off from the heat below....now, which photos are you uploading? The bears or the guys in the shower? Just curious . . . . :) cheers and my hat off to you!!
    Love,
    JM

    ReplyDelete