Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Darn it all!

Well, I made it to Damascus this weekend after hitchhiking and subsequently riding in the back of two pickup trucks and a car. One truck was full of manure! It figures I would get that one. Once I got to Damascus, I set up my tent in Tent City and then went to Medical because I knew that I had to. Well, to keep a long story short, I am at my Meme's house updating the blog because medical looked at me and sent me to the emergency room. They thought I had a blood clot and was in mortal danger. I knew I wasn't but also knew something was going on in my ankle. It was hot, very swollen, red and burned. The Baptist Church of Damascus is a caring, loving community. They provide the medical tent and provided me with a ride to the ER, a new life long friend (Sandra from Birmingham, AL), and a ride home from the ER. I don't know what I would have done without their support and caring. Bottom line, I have a really bad infection in my ankle, likely from my knee injury, that could get bad fast and the doc said "NO, hiking. You have to be within reach of a hospital" So I am at Meme's taking all the antibiotics they gave me being a "good girl" for the moment but..........

as soon as the darn meds are done, I am out of here and back on the trail. I will get to Kathadin this year. Of course, now all my friends will be a week ahead of me which really saddens me but as Cool Breeze reminded me several times I can meet more people and have more friends when I return for Trail Days next year.



Trail Days what a PARTY!!! Book signings, flutists, drum circles, the biggest water fight in the U.S. I am sure, contra dancing and more food than anyone could ever imagine. Thru hikers eat - eat a lot and most are told at medical to eat more as many are losing too much weight. If you offer free food, hikers will come, never doubt that. Yeah, can you imagine, I partied for 3 days with lots of people and loved every minute of it. You know what, I realized the month of May is not all that bad. I don't think that I hate it this year as I have in the past. Yes, I have thought and continue to think about all of my friends at my former employer trying to get through this month. I think and celebrate every second of every day that is stress free and that I am not stuck behind a computer screen for 80 hours a week during this month. I am sorry everyone and support your hard work during this time. At the end of the month, go outside, look up at the sky and know that I am looking at the same view with you, watching clouds meander by a beautiful blue sky, birds fly by and that you can now breathe and enjoy the sunshine.



I have been at Meme's less than a day now and have realized what a luxury hot water and toilet are. Anyone who has those two things is a wealthy person in my mind. Guess, my future goals will have to include these two things but beyond that, hey, I could live in a three sided building and wander the forests and be happy. I just have to figure out how to make money doing that.

3 comments:

  1. It is so hard for MND to have to take a bit of off trail time, but I am so delighted to be able to have her here for the brief time that she needs to get her knee and ankle back to good working order. She is one lucky lady to not have blood clots etc. With a bit of luck there will be no long term effects from her fall. In the mean time I am enjoying providing her with hot water, hot showers and a sit down toilet. LOL She will soon be back doing what she loves to do, hiking the AT Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first comment is from Meme, not Mom........

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of those working at your place of former employment, I bet it was the best May you've had in years. I'm rooting for you and am envious of your travels. Theresa

    ReplyDelete